[Vm-dev] A question for Eliot

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 19:24:52 UTC 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Esteban Lorenzano <estebanlm at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi list, Eliot
>
> I just updated my xcode, and everything stops working... but that's not my
> question (I'm trying to fix it myself before ask anything). The question is
> more about something I thought while updating: apple is slowly replacing
> GCC compiler with LLVM... what will happen with Cog when that process is
> finished and I did not count with GCC for apple?

Cog should continue to work if LLVM is correct.  At Qwaq/Teleplace we used
the Intel C compiler on Mac and it worked well.  So Cog *should* work with
any C compiler.  I have at least built Cog with LLVM.  The -O2 production
VM crashes (in trying to create the Closed PIC prototype on initializing
the JIT). But the -O1 assert and -O0 debug VMs do work.  So I think
long-term we will be able to move to LLVM.  It's clearly not ready for
prime time yet.

--
best,
Eliot