[Vm-dev] Re: [Vm-beginners] Re: Got "Error: basicNew: failed" when running InterpreterSimulator

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 21:05:51 UTC 2011

Hi Nick. Unfortunatly, few people use the interpreter. Even less (if none)
do it in Pharo. The only ones I know that use the simulator right now is
Eliot in Squeak and Graig in Spoon.
So...as you can see, the simulator is implemented in image side. Since Eliot
uses Squeak for his development, is more likely the simulator will work
easier in Squeak than Pharo. Of course that for the Pharo community it would
be AWESOME to be able to run the simulator. So if you can help with that,
excellent.
As an example, in Pharo you have the error. But in Squeak you have:

String asDisplayText
    "Answer a DisplayText whose text string is the receiver."

    ^DisplayText text: self asText

:)

So... my suggestion? start with squeak. Once you make it work, please,
update it in order to make it work in Pharo :)

In your case, I would try with 3 squeak images: 4.2, 4.3 and the one eliot
uses in: http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image/  (
VMMaker-Squeak4.1.image<http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/image/VMMaker-Squeak4.1.image>
)

cheers

On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Nick. <nick.lsts at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> Im attaching the PharoDebug.log (
> http://forum.world.st/file/n3866329/PharoDebug.log.tar.gz
> PharoDebug.log.tar.gz ) that was generated when the error came up.
>
> Those are the steps I used to reproduce the problem. The environment used
> is
> Ubuntu 11.04:
>  - From Jetkins, I downloaded the sources and vm for the "StackVM-Unix"
> job: https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Cog/job/StackVM-Unix/6/
>  - Unzipped the files and loaded [sources dir]/build/generator.image with
> StackVM.
>  - Finally, evaluated (StackInterpreterSimulator new openOn: Smalltalk
> imageName) test
>
> Also, I tried evaluating the same but running the image from a compiled
> stack vm (from StackUnixDebugConfig). In this case, the error that came up
> was different: a MNU on ByteStrinng >> asDisplayText.
> The log, named CompiledVM-PharoDebug.log is also attached:
> http://forum.world.st/file/n3866329/CompiledVM-PharoDebug-.log.tar.gz
> CompiledVM-PharoDebug-.log.tar.gz
>
> I'd appreciate any directions on how resolve this one :)
>
> Cheers!

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com