[Vm-dev] FT2Plugin stops working with latest version (was: Add argvec and envec to sqVirtualMachine.[ch]? (was: FT2Plugin stops working with latest version))

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 02:00:12 UTC 2011

On 6 October 2011 04:19, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 05, 2011 at 05:22:40PM +0200, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>> > I am traveling a lot right now but I will try. I looked at it a briefly
>> > a couple of days ago and got myself confused :/
>> >
>> > Igor, perhaps you can confirm - when you build a Cog VM with FreeTypePlugin,
>> > and when the plugin source code is using BytesPerWord (defined elsewhere,
>> > I don't remember where at the moment), you were able to get a working
>> > FreeTypePlugin, right? So if the code generator is producing "BytesPerWord"
>> > in the plugin source, it should be working? Sorry for my confusion,
>> > but I did not have time to retrace my earlier steps from building a Cog
>> > VM to test compiling the plugin, so I can't check this right now (and
>> > maybe I made a mistake when I was looking at it earlier).
>> >

>> Everything was working before you added the change for bytesPerWord method :D
>> I don't know what is the problem right now, (i thought we're fixed it
>> after discussing few weeks ago..) because i am not working on VM
>> builds right now.
>> So, Esteban, it is your call :D
>>

> OK, back to Esteban's original question about getting FreetypePlugin working.
>
> I said earlier that I had built and tested a FreetypePlugin on Cog, but
> this is wrong. The plugin compiled successfully, and in loaded into my
> Squeak image when I tried it (based on 'Smalltalk listLoadedModules'), so
> I thought that it was working. However, the build process that I used was
> the the original unix/config/configure process, and this apparently is not
> working correctly for FreetypePlugin (the actual FT2Plugin.c code is not
> included in the build).
>
> Therefore - I cannot confirm that this works on Cog. All I can say for
> sure is that the code generator changes that I provided produce the
> "BytesPerWord" output that would normally be used in the oscog branch,
> which would be the same as the code that apparently originally worked
> when Igor built a Cog VM prior to these changes.
>
> Igor, whenever you next build some VMs, can you please check and see
> if the FreetypePlugin is running correctly (not just loading, but
> actually doing something)? If so, there must be something different
> in your build procedure compared to what Esteban is doing.

I had error reports that build is broken on jenkins server , and the
problem is undefined bytes-per-word thingy.
If you look at

https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/Cog/job/Cog-Mac-Carbon/9/console

linking C shared library
/Users/hudson/jenkins/workspace/Cog-Mac-Carbon/cog/results/CogVM.app/Contents/Resources/libFT2Plugin.dylib
Undefined symbols:
  "_bytesPerWord", referenced from:
      _ftHandleValueFromReceiver in FT2Plugin.c.o
      _primitiveLoadGlyphSlotFromFace in FT2Plugin.c.o
ld: symbol(s) not found

so, its not about that plugin is built but buggy, but its not even
built correctly now :)

Concerning bugs in plugin: i didn't checked it thoughoutly, but i
remember one problem i had recently:
i tried to play with font outline data,  and VM was crashed at my
attempt of doing that.

Since font rendering doesn't using that code, the bug is not
"critical", but if it there, it would be nice to fix it,
because outline data is useful for rendering glyphs using various
fancy effects etc, as well as passing outline data directly
to shader(s), so rendering them could be done on GPU instead of CPU.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.