[Vm-dev] CogDroid: first public alpha available for testing

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 05:07:13 UTC 2011

Hi,

I am pleased to announce that the Android port of Stack Cog has
reached the public alpha stage, and the first pre-built apk file is
available for downloading:

http://squeakvm-tablet.googlecode.com/files/CogDroid-alpha-20110903.apk

This is a debug-signed Android package. When installed, it uses the
Pharo icon (to distinguish from the Squeak package in case it is
installed). In the future, I'll change the icon to something
different.

It was tested mostly with one of recent Pharo Core images, and this
kind of image is suggested for experiments, but information about any
other images is also welcome. Place the image, changes, and sources
files in a directory under the root of your tablet's SD card mount
point. When the application is launched, it will show list of all
image files available.

Information provided in the Wiki pages of the Google Code project for
the classic VM port is valid for the Cog port as well.

http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/w/list

See the CogNotes page
http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/wiki/CogNotes for information
about location of sources, and (very sketchy at the moment) building
procedure.

As usual, please send your feedback to this mailing list, or to the
Google code project issues page:

http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/issues/list

Try running the tinyBenchmark (Cog gives slightly better results than
the Classic VM). You may also try the Test Runner. Please let me know
if your favorite tests failed, and any ideas why they might fail ;)
>From my experience running tests amount of failures is not much higher
than same tests run on PC Cog/Pharo.

Have fun and share your experience ;)

Thanks.