[Vm-dev] I don't understand the GC root table

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 09:12:21 UTC 2011

Hi guys. I usually thought that the root table of the GC was the
#specialObjectsArray. Now, checking a little bit the VM and image side, it
seems I am totally wrong.

"Smalltalk rootTable" answers an array that I cannot understand how such
array can be the root. Where are the references to all the system from such
an array?  there is no reference to specialObjectsArray for example.
Even more, the table seems to be full of weird stuff, such as "an
OController", a lot of "a Text" instances about my workspaces stuff, Colors,
Morhpic, etc....

Smalltalk isRoot:  Smalltalk  specialObjectsArray -> false
Smalltalk isRoot: true -> false
Smalltalk isRoot: false -> false
Smalltalk isRoot: nil -> false

so...I am lost.