[Vm-dev] Limit of the #become:

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 15:32:58 UTC 2012

Hi guys. I noticed that there is a limit in the number of objects you can
become. In my case, I am becoming 2312157 objects. So..I don't expect that
the become works. I imagine that it was not designed for so many objects in
mind ;)
However, what I would really understand is where is the limitation and the
reason. And of course, if someone already knows which is the real number
limit. Otherwise, I will do a kind of binary search and discover it.

If you want to reproduce it:

| dict |
dict := Dictionary new.
2312157 timesRepeat: [ dict at: Object new put: Object new ].
3 timesRepeat: [Smalltalk garbageCollect].
dict keys elementsForwardIdentityTo: dict values.

throws a #primitiveFailed.

Thanks,

--
Mariano