[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] shift-enclose broken in trunk...

juanlists at jvuletich.org juanlists at jvuletich.org
Mon Apr 9 21:07:15 UTC 2012

Hi Eliot,

Quoting Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 4:04 AM, Bob Arning
> <arning315 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > It works in 4.2 Mac for me. In 4.3, it fails as you reported.
>
> So the change is then the discarding of shiftEncose: and its use in
> initializeShiftCmdKeyShortcuts.  This change was made when the
> signature for enclose: et al was changed to take KeyboardEvents as
> arguments instead of the characterStream made in Morphic-nice.566. I
> agree with Nicholas' comment in Morphic-nice.566 that
> "#shiftEnclose: is hardcoding the keyboard layout, which is not
> compatible with foreign keyboards and modern VM, and prevents
> correct enclosing to work.".  Looks like there isn't enough
> information in a KeyboardEvent, e.g. the shifted and unshifted
> characters, for enclose: to do the right thing.  We need both the
> shifted and the unshifted character, and then enclose: can do the
> right thing.  But the VM does not pass up this information yet.   I
> propose we modify the VMs asap to use the "reserved1"
> 7th field in a sqKeyboardEvent to contain the modified character as
> answered by the OS. For and against?

Yes, yes, yes! While doing this, please include in this new field the
character as if [ctrl] was _not_ pressed (even if it actually was
pressed). Please take a look at
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2012-January/010042.html ,
where I describe both issues. In that message I suggest doing this in
the existing field; but I agree that adding a new field for this
behavior is a much better solution.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich