A note concerning VMMaker merge (Re: [Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-dtl.270.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 28 22:41:43 UTC 2012

I have been slowly nibbling away at the problem of converging the VMMaker
branches, and this commit is another small step in that direction. My hope
is that a few more updates will bring VMMaker trunk to the point where it
will be possible to generate both a StackInterpreter and a traditional
Interpreter VM, and be able to compile either on the existing Subversion
trunk sources.

I have been working on this in the VMMaker trunk branch, as opposed to
the oscog branch, simply because I am familiar with it and I am able to
make incremental progress towards the merge while keeping the standard
intepreter healthy at each step. There are probably faster and better
ways to accomplish this, but I am happy to make progress in small steps,
so that's the approach I have been taking.

>From the point of view of doing the updates in VMMaker trunk, there
are a few key guidelines that I am trying to follow:

1) First and foremost, do no harm to the standard interpreter VM. Make
sure that each update produces generated C code that is equivalent to,
or better than, the last. Don't do anything that would make Dan Ingalls
recoil in horror.

2) Retain the 32/64 bit object memory support, and hopefully make it
available for StackInterpreter and Cog in the future. Also keep
SlangBrowser and MemoryAccess functional. Keep VMMakerTool working
while also adopting CrossPlatformVMMaker from oscog.

3) Commonize the oscog and trunk branches as quickly as possible,
particularly with respect to interpreter primitives and the portions
of object memory and interpreter that are inherently common. Where
differences are necessary, factor them out such that objective #1
still met.

I think I can safely say that converging the branches is taking a good
deal more time and effort that I might have expected, but progress is
progress, and the goal of converging the branches is certainly achievable.

So ... FWIW that's what I've been trying to do with these updates.

Dave