VMMaker update notes (was: [Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker-dtl.268.mcz)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Feb 22 03:32:05 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 04:13:30AM +0000, commits at source.squeak.org wrote:

> David T. Lewis uploaded a new version of VMMaker to project VM Maker:
> http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker/VMMaker-dtl.268.mcz

> Name: VMMaker-dtl.268
> Author: dtl
> Time: 20 February 2012, 11:13:18.88 pm
> UUID: 5910e3cd-6f36-4ec1-bd4a-a2e3745db18c
> Ancestors: VMMaker-dtl.266
>
> VMMaker 4.8.3
>
> Bring the simulator back to life.

The last four updates to VMMaker trunk provide a separation of ObjectMemory
from Interpreter based on Eliot's class organization in the oscog branch.
I have taken care to ensure that the generated C sources are not affected
by these changes, aside from variable ordering, temp variable naming, and
the like. The interpreter simulator is similarly refactored, and I believe
that it now works as well is it did prior to the refactoring, although
some bugs may still be lurking.

NewObjectMemory is working in VMMaker trunk from previous updates, so the
next reasonable step may be to get a StackInterpreter going.

To be clear, Eliot's sources (i.e. the oscog branch of VMMaker) are the
master for all Cog and StackInterpreter building. The copies in VMMaker
trunk are intended as steps towards converging the branches, and should
be treated as experimental.