[Vm-dev] CogDroid Beta Test builds

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 04:06:37 UTC 2012

Hi,

As CogDroid has undergone more testing on both ARM and x86 platforms,
I am pleased to announce that CogDroid is now Beta.

I have made two testing builds available:

http://www.golubovsky.org/userdirs/golubovsky/CogDroid-beta/CogDroid-debug.apk
for ARM, and
http://www.golubovsky.org/userdirs/golubovsky/CogDroid-beta/CogDroid86-debug.apk
for x86.

This is a temporary location. Hopefully my request for Jenkins account
will be granted, and I will be able to set up automatic build jobs for
CogDroid.

What has been added/changed since the latest Alpha releases:

1. The core VM Java and native code has been separated into a library.
Cog-based applications may be built on top of the library. The beta
versions mentioned in this message are generic builds whose code
extends the base activity class adding nothing to its functionality.
The beta APK have different Java package names from alpha releases.

2. A VM primitive has been added to read text from Android clipboard.
In order to use this primitive, In order to use this primitive, the
package

http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker/Android-Base-golubovsky.21.mcz (or newer)

has to be installed from the following repo:

http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker/

3. Locale support has been added. Android NDK does not provide locale
support as traditional C programs would expect, so the "stock"
UnixLocalePlugin does not work. The Android replacement retrieves
locale information from Java runtime by making several JNI calls at
the moment of plugin initialization. CogDroid does not see changes in
locale if Android language/country settings are changed, until
restarted.

4. Keyboard support has been improved: in both architectures Ctrl and
Alt modifiers should work, however I can not test it for ARM as I do
not have a tablet with keyboard. Keyboard modifiers work in x86.

Thanks.

--
Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web