[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] is there a way to avoid all the #tryNamedPrimitive:with: * in ProtoObject

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 08:41:37 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:22 PM, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <
> stephane.ducasse at inria.fr> wrote:
>
>> Hi elliot
>>
>> What are these tryNamedPrimitive?
>>

> The methods in ProtoObject implement invoking primitives in the context of
> the debugger.

Ok, I was not that far :)

>  The debugger used to use methods in Object, tryPrimitive0, tryPrimitive1:
> tryPrimitive2:with: et al, to invoke normal primitives.  The debugger would
> choose the tryPrimitive1: method with the right number of arguments, modify
> its header to change its primitive number of the desired primitive, and
> then call it to invoke the primitive.  This is not reentrant.  If one is
> trying to debug the debugger then the tryPrimitive: method can be modified
> by the debugger that is debugging the debugger that is in the process of
> editing the tryPrimitive: method.  To fix this, and eliminate the
> tryPrimitiveN methods, someone introduced the tryPrimitive:withArgs:
> primitive.  (Note that in VisualWorks we solved this by creating a method
> on the fly to invoke a given primitive and evaluating it using a primitive
> that did the same thing as withArgs:executeMethod:).

Eliot, isn't that what I have suggested in my previous email? at least as I
can understand, that was my idea. In fact, since even if we have this new
primitive, we have to keep those methods because Pharo could be opened in
older VMs, wouldn't it make sense such proposal? because that way we can
remove those methods.
So...if we are in latest cog, we use the primitive, otherwise, we generate
the CM on the fly and we execute it. In both cases, we do not use these
methods.

> Analogously, one needs a way of invoking named primitives in the debugger,
> and using tryNamedPrimitive[:with:with:...] et al has exactly the same
> weaknesses as tryPrimitiveN above.  So introducing a primitive to run named
> primitives is in keeping with tryPrimitive:withArgs:.  Using the
> VisualWorks approach is feasible but violates Occam's razor.

What what about temporally (to be removed in the future) just when we are
using older VMs?