[Vm-dev] Split sound package -> Cog not loading in last 1.4

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 19:12:14 UTC 2012

Hi guys. Cog is not loading anymore in 1.4 because of some classes
depending on Project from the 'Sound' package found in PharoSound repo in
SS. At the beginning I thought to create a separate package
"SoundVMSupport" and put there the needed classes, but I discover that
there are a lot which are needed. And moreover, all of those needed classes
are in the category Sound-Synthesis. The classes problematic (regarding
Project and morphs) are in the other package Sound-Scores. I have just
tried and split the Sound package in two: SoundScores and SoundSynthesis.
Then I changed ConfigurationOfCog to load SoundSynthesis rather than Sound.
That works and I can now build the VM without problems.

I think that the split makes sense even without of the need of Cog. Do you
agree?  If true, I can commit everything.
One of the things I am not sure is how to make sure Sound package is not
used anymore. All I can do is:

a) Put a comment in squeaksource page saying that the packages are now
SoundScores and SoundSynthesis.
b) Create a new baseline and version of ConfigurationOfPharoSound which
reflecs this change
c) Commit a version of everything empty (no single class) to the package
Sound.

Which ones of these should I do ?

Thanks

--