[Vm-dev] Re: problem with #become, GC and proxies for compiled methods

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:05:17 UTC 2012

Hi Mariano,

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 6:47 PM, Stefan Marr <smalltalk at stefan-marr.de>wrote:
>

>> Hi:
>>
>> On 30 Jan 2012, at 18:30, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>
>> > If with this piece of data, together with what I mentioned in the first
>> email, you have a hint, please tell me :)
>>
>> Wild guess: did you invalidate all the caches that a GC usually
>> invalidates? Thinks like primitive caches etc? Not sure what is there in
>> Cog that could be problematic.
>>

> Thanks Stefan. I tried to do a Object flush after each graph I swap out,
> but still, same problem :(
> Thanks for the hint anyway.

While it may be difficult for Cog to get this right, since there are two
copies of a jitted method, the original and the machine-code version, it
would be great if Cog could have it right.  So give than you have a
reproducible case could you do me a huge favour and create an image that
reproduces the bug?  Please create the image as a doit that saves the image
and then continues to runt to the crash.  e.g. if the code that provokes
the crash is "MyTest crash" evaluate this in a workspace, and then verify
when you start-up the resulting snapshot that the image crashes:

    SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: true.
    MyTest crash

or

    SmalltalkImage current
        garbageCollect;