[Vm-dev] Request: VM support for opening browser

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 11:40:28 UTC 2012

For me, it's not about safety.
It's about mirroring outside word complexity in the image, including
the includes files when it comes to FFI.
Even the simpler case of shells is boring. What is the OS-universal
command to open a web browser? Does it take user preference into
account ? Shall we strip some environment variables when we launch a
64bit app from a 32bit one?

How do ruby/python/java/... open an URL?

The uncontested advantage of in-image code is that you can
change-evaluate it in fast loops.
The second advantage is simpler distribution of code (rather than
VMMaker sources + pre-compiled plugin binaries). Though, plugins
should be pluggable.

But what do you gain about factoring and maintaining code working for
all OS/versions? How do you avoid hardcoding machine specific stuff
(paths, executable names etc...)? You have to plug into rather than
re-program existing system capabilities, so you have to reify these
capabilities and all query/configuration services. In worst cases, if
you have to use FFI, it can take the form of preprocessor directives,
you know the kind of boring stuff configure or cmake, try to
address...

Opening an URL is a very simple test case though, so I'd say Pharo
shoud experiment and recreate an in-image mirror of the plugin (I mean
with same capabilities) using OSProcess shells. It will bring more
feedback before we can vote.

Nicolas