[Vm-dev] idle VM runs at constant 3-5% CPU load

Juan Vuletich (mail lists) juanlists at jvuletich.org
Tue Jun 5 01:01:04 UTC 2012

Hi Igor,

Quoting Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>:

> i just wonder, what takes so much CPU time, even if it completely idle...
>

> 4831-  NBCog        4.8
> 51519- NBCog        3.5
>
> if i kill a UI process, the load goes down to 2.5-3 % ...
> still too much.

Well, there are both image and VM issues here. I'll assume you're
running Pharo on a Mac. Running Cuis on a Mac, when idle, uses 2.6 -
2.7%. So, the UI process can be optimized to the point where it takes
almost zero CPU.

But there are VM platform code issues too. Doing the same on a Windows
7 Atom netbook, Cuis uses 0% (zero!) CPU.

> i would like to know how we can minimize this.
> The reason why i concerned is straightly pragmatic: extending battery life..
>
> i found that if i run completely on battery.. it depleting quite fast
> with VM running (and i don't do anything just coding, i.e not running
> benchmarks, but more thinking and typing).
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Cheers,