[Vm-dev] Cog VM idling performance

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu Jun 7 09:19:37 UTC 2012

On 07.06.2012, at 03:37, "Phil (list)" <pbpublist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure I understand: I have a morph with stepping enabled (every 50ms)... shouldn't that keep the idle process from taking over?  If not (i.e. and your suggestion is the way to go), what's the recommended way to kill the idle process and how would I restart it when I no longer want maximum performance?

Enable the higherPerformance preference.

This does not kill the idle process, but disables Morphic's regular 50 fps cap. Use a FrameRateMorph to show the frame rate, it should be in the hundreds of fps.

That said I'm not entirely sure if this relates to the move-mouse-to-do-anything phenomenon. We have seen this occasionally, only on Linux IIRC, but never got down to the root of it.

- Bert -