[Vm-dev] [unix] xshm makes Squeak slower?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jun 7 23:51:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 06:30:25PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> How could that be?
>
> 	https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/etoys/+bug/1009704
>
> - Bert -

I don't know the answer, but I would be inclined to ask the reverse
question - is there any case in which using xshm produces a noticable
performance benefit? I could never notice any difference, so I never
paid much attention to the option.

My understanding is that the X shared memory extention attempts to
reduce data tranfer between server and client, but presumably at the
expense of the shared memory mapping activity, which I suppose might
have some bad effects on a small PC for one reason or another.