[Vm-dev] [Pharo-project] Plan/discussion/communication around new object format

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 21:42:33 UTC 2012

> if you remember i said before, that i don't like immutability enforced
> through VM contract.
>
> imagine two frameworks, using immutability flag for their own
> purposes, and contending for ownership
> of same object(s)..
>
> IMO, there are other , better, solutions to that but i'm not going to
> go in details...

I totally agree with you here, too.  An immutability-bit is like
static-typing, or RDBMS RI, or "truly private" methods (to which I'm
also opposed).  Each of those enforces some past notion about that
object/method/whatever on the present, even until it should no longer
be the case -- at which point you simply go into the "meta settings"
and turn it off because it got in your way.

Probably better to just avoid all that in the first place.