[Vm-dev] [Pharo-project] Plan/discussion/communication around new object format

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Thu Jun 14 20:10:21 UTC 2012

Hi:

On 14 Jun 2012, at 21:52, Colin Putney wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> and also, because i am strong proponent of reducing a number of
>> contracts between VM and language.
>> Things, like moving scheduling logic to image side, moving identity
>> hash logic to image side etc etc.
>> which makes VM less complex, by having less contracts.
>> This is a part of my holy crusade against complexity :)
>

> My main concern with immutability is that it's a specific hack to
> provide a join point for AOP-style management of state. It feels like
> there's a more general mechanism that we're missing. Maybe it would be
> useful to have an instance-variable equivalent of ObjectsAsMethods,
> whatever that might mean. A MOP, maybe? Macros?
>
> OTOH, a more general solution starts to become a PL research project
> pretty quickly, and would probably never happen.

My current hammer is a metaobject-based MOP. And immutability is a rather small nail ;)

The context is a little different, but indeed, I think Igor needs a MOP.
And one of the possible variations is briefly discussed here:

http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr/2012/03/identifying-a-unifying-mechanism-for-the-implementation-of-concurrency-abstractions-on-multi-language-virtual-machines/

http://soft.vub.ac.be/~smarr/downloads/tools12-smarr-dhondt-identifying-a-unifying-mechanism-for-the-implementation-of-concurrency-abstractions-on-multi-language-virtual-machines.pdf

Or you chose one from here, Sec. 2.3, I think:
http://swp.dcc.uchile.cl/TR/2009/TR_DCC-20091123-013.pdf

Best regards
Stefan

--