[Vm-dev] limiting compiler warnings...

Camillo Bruni camillo.bruni at inria.fr
Tue Mar 20 21:30:36 UTC 2012

On 2012-03-20, at 20:11, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> Hi Camillo,
>
> On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Camillo Bruni <camillo.bruni at inria.fr> wrote:
>
> I am quickly trying to limit the number of warnings we get when compiling cog.
>
> The current output is amazingly verbose, and utterly useless when looking for possible bugs :/.
> Furthermore it seems that cared about the following warning:
>
> /Users/cami-data/education/phd/project/cog/dh83s-blessed/src/vm/gcc3x-cointerp.c:2066: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘longAt’ makes integer from pointer without a cast
>
> what would be the easiest way to introduce an auto-cast for longAt and family?
> I think the easiest solution would be to reintroduce the macros that are currently disabled, no?
>
> This doesn't seem right to me.  I've attached the warnings I get when I compile Cog with gcc 4.2.1 (on Mac OS X).  There are 39 lines for about 20 warnings.  The unique warnings are
>
> "bytecodeSetSelector" redefined
> assignment makes integer from pointer without a cast
> format '%ld' expects type 'long int', but argument 2 has type 'sqInt'
> ignoring asm-specifier for non-static local variable 'currentBytecode'
> ignoring asm-specifier for non-static local variable 'localIP'
> ignoring asm-specifier for non-static local variable 'localSP'
> initialization from incompatible pointer type
> left shift count >= width of type
> passing argument 1 of 'printHex' makes integer from pointer without a cast
> passing argument 2 of 'sqAllocateMemoryMac' makes pointer from integer without a cast
> return makes integer from pointer without a cast
>
> So no warnings about longAt at all.  I wonder what is different between your compile environment and mine.  Are we both talking about Mac or are you on linux?

I'm on mac using the standard setup we have on our jenkins server.

gcc-4.2 --version
i686-apple-darwin11-gcc-4.2.1

I assume you disabled the following warnings?
-Wno-pointer-to-int-cast
-Wno-int-to-pointer-cast

see https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/Cog-Mac-Cocoa/28/consoleFull and grep for "[ 38%] Building C object" for the detailed view.