Re: [Vm-dev] 64 bits (was: Squeak Oversight Board minutes – 5/01/12)

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Fri May 4 18:16:39 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
>> IMHO the most urgent need is to make the 32 bit VM compile on a 64 bit machine. Running 64 bit images would be nice, too, but the problem most users run into right now is that they just cannot easily run their current image on that shiny new box.
>
> +1
>
> Basically all operating systems are 64-bit now, and 32-bit
> applications are now considered "legacy support".

AFAICT Fedora 14, 15 and 16 shipped a broken VM for x86_64.  Meanwhile
the Fedora i586 (32 bit) VM works flawlessly on 64-bit Linux: it is
just a case of downloading the right RPM and installing it. I might
not be following the right bugzilla issues, or mailing list, as I
haven't noticed if Fedora has plans to put the i586 VM in the yum
repositories for x86_64 users.

Anyone heard anything?

David