[Vm-dev] 64 bits

Casimiro de Almeida Barreto casimiro.barreto at gmail.com
Fri May 4 19:27:19 UTC 2012

On 04-05-2012 15:16, David Corking wrote:

> On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 6:37 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
>> (...)
> AFAICT Fedora 14, 15 and 16 shipped a broken VM for x86_64.  Meanwhile
> the Fedora i586 (32 bit) VM works flawlessly on 64-bit Linux: it is
> just a case of downloading the right RPM and installing it. I might
> not be following the right bugzilla issues, or mailing list, as I
> haven't noticed if Fedora has plans to put the i586 VM in the yum
> repositories for x86_64 users.
>
> Anyone heard anything?
>
> David

In Fedora 16 I compiled a SqueakVM (x86_64) that is "working flawlessy"
as far as I don't need FFI or plugins that must seek for proper
libraries. These "buts" are big ones since relevant part of my work
involves merging with CUDA routines and other external stuff (libfann,
etc). Anyways, the x86_64 compiled SqueakVM is nice enough not to blue
screen on me :) (as far as I don't do stupid things like forcing i686
libraries into x86_64 code).

I use the i686 version of Cog in the x86_64 box. Again, it works because
I installed the i686 "compatibility libraries". But FFI fails and system
becomes unstable when library search order is forced to go first i686
(issues related to subjacent x86_64 stuff like x_org_drv_nvidia "et
cœtera"). In this case, forcing leads to system crasy (as in the case of
SqueakVM).

CdAB