[Vm-dev] Help/advice tracking down a squeak-vm regression

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Thu May 10 23:07:33 UTC 2012

At Thu, 10 May 2012 15:38:33 -0400,
John Maloney wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> To add to what Amos wrote...
>
> I knew about the sound primitive problem. But the Scratch image (and other Squeak images
> from the same vintage) just give a blank screen with the latest Squeak VM, so it appears
> that there are other incompatibilities. From the msqueak.image test, it appears that the file
> primitives are also incompatible. I'm not sure when that might have happened.

> A useful thing someone could do would be to understand exactly what changes are
> needed to make the Scratch image make it work on current Squeak
> VM's.

Ah.  This may or may not related, but when I tried to run the Scratch
image in the Native Client VM, I saw similar problems.  The reason was
that the iamge uses the numbered primitives to call the BitBlt
primitives.  When I just edit mehtods to use the corresponding named
primitives, it started looking better (modulo some rendering problems
with alpha.)

-- Yoshiki