[Vm-dev] New plugins for Linux

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat May 19 18:39:09 UTC 2012

Hi Ian,

here are 4 new plugins for Linux, taken from Scratch (MIT licensed, inside the GPL release), moved into the unix source layout, with added cmake files (also did one for VideoForLinuxPlugin).

I did comment out the system() call in ScratchPlugin, since that is too dangerous to compile in by default, for my taste.

I also added the new plugins (along with the missing OggPlugin and VideoForLinuxPlugin) to plugins.ext, and edited CMakeLists.txt to use "PROJECT (squeak C)" because otherwise CMake would insist to want both C and C++ compilers.

I noticed by default it builds and installs vm-display-custom and vm-sound-custom, but I did nothing about that yet.

The attached tarball contains the files differing from your Squeak-4.4.7.2357-src.tar.gz release (SVN head didn't build for me).

I verified the Camera, Unicode, and Scratch plugins do work. Cannot test WeDo.

When you do a new release, it would be nicer to exclude the old autotools stuff, I think. I did:

	rm -r unix/config
	find unix/ -name acinclude.m4 -o -name Makefile.in -o -name Makefile.inc | xargs rm

and things seemed to work fine.

And maybe for some it would be helpful to list the build requirements to have all modules and features get built?

On Ubuntu 12 I had to install these additional packages:

cmake libx11-dev libxext-dev libxrender-dev libfreetype6-dev libpulse-dev libasound-dev libaudio-dev libogg-dev libvorbis-dev libspeex-dev uuid-dev libdbus-1-dev libpango1.0-dev libgstreamer0.10-dev libgl1-mesa-dev

On Fedora 14 (here I started without any dev tools):

make gcc cmake pulseaudio-libs-devel alsa-lib-devel nas-devel libogg-devel libvorbis-devel speex-devel uuid-devel dbus-devel pango-devel gstreamer-devel mesa-libGL-devel

(where pango-devel loads in libX11-devel, libXext-devel, libXrender-devel, and freetype-devel to be loaded, amongst others)

(and UUID compiling gives up with an error that the storage size of 'uuid' is unknown, I ignored that)

Maybe you could quickly make a Squeak-4.4.8.2357 release by just adding these files and removing the autotools junk? I want the Fedora guys to package a 4.x VM (one for ARM is needed in particular) but it would be good to get all the stuff in first.

Thanks!

- Bert -