[Vm-dev] StackVM on general Unix ARM

Dmitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Tue May 22 12:55:23 UTC 2012

Pavel,

Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> I'm trying to compile StackVM for Raspberry Pi but I face some problems.
> The biggest one seems to be the absence of High Res Timer Ticker. CogDroid
> and iOS builds are for ARM too. How did you solve this?

By eliminating all asynchronicity from Cog and turning it into an
event-driven VM.

See this for the general discussion:

http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.smalltalk.squeak.vm.devel/6910

The message referred mentions StackEvtUnixConfig which may be your
starting point.

You may follow the recommendations from

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2012-May/010632.html

where your last (per these recommendations) step will be

sh ./generate.sh -headless StackEvtUnixConfig ### (instead of AndroidConfig)

I never polished this configuration, however it somehow ran on Linux.
I believe it is still a CMake project (as opposed to the Android build
where CMake stuff was eliminated).

You may also find this helpful:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2011-August/009209.html

which discusses some aspects of Morphic algorithms suitability for
event driven VMs (although some of them may have been already fixed).

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks.

--
Dmitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web