[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] CogVM crash code

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 22:34:49 UTC 2012

OK, this is fixed.  Thanks, Jon.  The bug was that the pop of the folded
constant did not record the implicit send in the folding, hence pc mapping
was wrong.  i.e. 1-1 gets folded away to 0, and the code generator marks
the result 0 as being the result of a send, but then the result gets
discarded (when it is popped) without being noted in the pc map.  In the
machine code there needs to be at least a nop generated, and in the map
there needs to be an entry, to correspond to the send of +, so that when
machine code pcs are mapped to bytecode pcs there are the correct number of
entries in the map.  In the above case, the VM converts the interpreted
frame to a machine code frame (coincidently) on the 20th iteration and
needs to map the bytecode pc to the correct machine code pc to continue in
machine code.  But because of the missing entry in the map for 1-1, the pc
mapping machinery answered 0, and the VM ended up jumping into the void.

Thanks very much for the bug report!

--
best,
Eliot