[Vm-dev] HackerNews + vm-dev = a lightbulb saying "STACK!"

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 23:13:12 UTC 2012

I saw an interesting post on HackerNews [1] about a book called "Stack
Computers: The New Wave" (1989)[2].
I thought, that's pretty interesting. Stack computers. Stack languages.
Forth. Hmmm, Forth. I wonder if it would be worth spending some time on
Forth?
Then there's a post on GreenArrays, Inc. [3] and Chuck Moore and
ColorForth [4] and such. And I think, Yea. That's cool. But I shouldn't
really go down this road. How are stack languages related to Smalltalk?
And then I realized the StackVM is called a StackVM because it uses a
... STACK.
Oh, right. Stack. Maybe the informing principle of the StackVM is that
it uses a stack. Like Forth.
Sometimes a brick has to fall on my head before I see what's going on.

Chris

[1] http://news.ycombinator.com/
[2] http://www.ece.cmu.edu/~koopman/stack_computers/index.html
[3] http://www.greenarraychips.com/