[Vm-dev] some issues with latest standard VM

Chris Muller asqueaker at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 19:20:33 UTC 2012

I can't seem to interrogate the squeak VM version from the
command-line with the 4.10.2.2614 Unix VM.

$ squeak -version
cannot find VM to run image 'squeak' with option ''

When I start an image, I see what appear to be a couple of debugging
messages in the console:

$ squeak myImage &
$ CHECKING cogvm
CHECKING squeakvm

Finally, I've discovered after doing heavy work in an image in Cog --
something maybe happens to it because, while I can still open it under
Cog, I can't open it with the regular VM.

$ squeak myImage &
$ CHECKING cogvm
CHECKING squeakvm
squeakvm: /home/piumarta/squeak/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMemory.c:177:
uxGrowMemoryBy: Assertion `newDelta >= 0' failed.

This last error also occurs with the 2357 VM, so it's been around a
while.  With a fresh image saving under Cog and opening under the 2614
VM works fine -- it's only after having done a lot of work in the
image that something happens to make the standard VM crash when trying
to open it, even though it still opens fine under Cog 2585.