[Vm-dev] Multiple Bytecode Sets

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Tue Oct 16 19:12:24 UTC 2012

Hi Eliot:

May I ask you to give me a brief, high-level description of how the support for multiple bytecode sets works?

Do you switch between different dispatch tables based on the method flag?
Or do you extend the existing one and include the bit into the dispatch?

Do you have any performance numbers, or pointers to literature?

I found hints to Smalltalk/X, VisualAgeJava/Smalltalk, and I think MagLev/Gemstone might also use that kind of technique.
But, unfortunately, Google is a bit shy about papers, or interesting references.

Thanks a lot
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr