[Vm-dev] Re: [Pharo-project] BlockClosure>>ensure: implementation

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:57:15 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Clément Bera <clement.bera at inria.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I don't understand something on BlockClosure>>ensure:. Why does it use
> 'self valueNoContextSwitch'  and not 'self value' ? In which case is there
> an issue ?

Prior to my closure implementation BlockContext>>value[:value:*] was not a
context switch point.  So to preserve the threading semantics of ensure: we
implemented ensure: in terms of BlockClosure>>valueNoContextSwitch, which
is not a context-switch point, as opposed to BlockClosure>>value[:value:*].
 The context switch points in the VM are non-primitive sends (or failing
primitives, i.e. full method activation), backward branches, the Process
primitives suspend, resume, signal and wait (and CrtiticalSection/Mutex
enter and exit) and block evaluation.

--
best,
Eliot