[Vm-dev] FreeBSD port lang/squeak: 4.4.7_2 - invalid UTF8 - UTF8TextConverter class>> errorMalFormedInput:

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Thu Sep 6 12:44:13 UTC 2012

On 06.09.2012 14:27, Takeshi MUTOH wrote:

> Hi Henry, thank you for your advice.
>
> On 2012/09/06, at 18:11, Henrik Sperre Johansen <henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no> wrote:
>
>> On 06.09.2012 08:06, Takeshi MUTOH wrote:
>>>   Hi, I'm a maintainer of FreeBSD port lang/squeak.
>>>
>>> I receive a serious problem report below:
>>> - http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/171291
>    (snip)
>> That's seems to be a corrupted Squeak41.sources file, afaict the source offset in the image is correct, but the contents at that offset is gibberish.
>> I'd suggest checking the version included in FreeBSD port vs the one found at ftp://squeak.org/4.1/SqueakV41.sources.gz
> Your suggestion is right.
> When I replace Squeak41.sources to ftp://squeak.org/4.1/SqueakV41.sources.gz, the problem is fixed.
>
> I'll make patch to fix this problem.
>
> How do you find the problem?
> I want to know for fixing this kind of problem.
>
> Thank you very much, again.
> --
> Takeshi MUTOH <mutoh at openedu.org>
 From the stacktrace and error message.
Error says something can't be read as UTF8 (which you describe as
happening when clicking on the class), a bit down in the trace it is
clear that something originated as a class comment:
ClassOrganizer(BasicClassOrganizer)>>classComment

In one of the top frames:
UTF8TextConverter class>>decodeByteString:
     Receiver: UTF8TextConverter
     Arguments and temporary variables:
         aByteString:     '**garbled contents not remotely resembling UTF8**

Yeah, that's something which should not be decoded as UTF8 in the first
place...
a bit further down:

RemoteString>>text
     Receiver: a RemoteString
     Arguments and temporary variables:
         theFile:     MultiByteFileStream:
'/usr/local/lib/squeak/4.4.7-2383/SqueakV41.sourc...etc...
     Receiver's instance variables:
         sourceFileNumber:     1
         filePositionHi:     4185358

file name/location looked ok, filePositionHi checked against a 4.1 image
where the error did not occur was the same.
Hence, it seemed likely problem was a corrupt .sources file (which the
RemoteString points to) rather than the method in .image file containing
an incorrect source offset.

Cheers,
Henry