[Vm-dev] Cog stack VM on ARM?

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 00:17:30 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Casey Ransberger
<casey.obrien.r at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm running on a Rasp Pi-B. The interpreter VM currently leaves some stuff
> to be desired on this device. I know that Tim has been working to improve
> BitBlt's perf in the interpreter. I'm interested in seeing if I can milk a
> bit of rocket sauce from the stack orientation and generation scavenging GC
> while he's doing that.
>
> A few questions:
>
> - Does the stack VM depend on anything that isn't ARM-happy right now?

Not that I know of.  John McIntosh and Dimitry Golubovsky report success
with the Stack VM on ARM devices (iPhone & Droid).

- Does the Linux limitation around multiple thread prioritization apply to
> the stack VM?

Yes.  The Stack VM also needs a heartbeat.  So on linux one should derive
the heartbeat from an interval timer, until such time as the pthreads
implementation is fixed.   we live in hope.

> - Where should I get sources for a current stack VM?

you can check-out the Cog stack sources (
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/stacksrc) but you'd want to
get the platform tree or all the sources from Dimitry.  I think his sources
are on code.google.com somewhere.

HTH

--
best,