[Vm-dev] Prebuilt 64-bit VM on Linux?

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 23:04:19 UTC 2013

El 10/04/2013 18:34, Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On 10.04.2013, at 14:11, Hernán Morales Durand <hernan.morales at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a 64-bit CentOS server and I want a to measure the peak memory usage with valgrind for a script. For that I need a 64-VM (with a 32-bit Pharo image).
>> I have tried with http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r2714/coglinux-13.13.2714.tgz but file reports: "squeak: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, not stripped"
>
> Just install the 32 bit libs on your server and it will work fine. You might even try just using the Fedora packages (yum install squeak-vm).

Yes, actually I was using the setting you mentioned. But valgrind/massif
which is compiled for 64-bit (on linux) doesn't support analyzing 32-bit
executables running on 64-bit hardware.

I suspect I can build my own VM given that I do not need X11 or sound
plugins?

Maybe anyone tried memory profiling before? Any alternatives to valgrind
are welcomed.

>> Is there any precompiled linux 64-bit binary available?
>
> Yes:
>
> 	http://squeakvm.org/unix/
>
> (Cog does not support x86_64, yet)

Ok, tomorrow I will try the StackVM using latest Squeak.

Hernán