[Vm-dev] Add missing extension *.so

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 06:22:05 UTC 2013

On 12 April 2013 07:44, Damien Cassou <damien.cassou at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> are all unix-based systems using .so extension for dynamic libs?
>> i guess these modules left without extension on purpose to not
>> pollute VM code with
>> dealing with unix dialect-specificness.
>

> all the ones I've heard of do. Wikipedia says " In Unix-like operating systems using ELF, dynamically-loaded shared libraries can be identified by the filename suffix .so (shared object)." Solaris also uses this extension http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26505_01/html/816-5165/ld.so.1-1.html. There is also this page which says that "In most modern Unix-like systems [...] the filenames always start with lib, and end with .a (archive, static library) or .so (shared object, dynamically linked library)". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_%28computing%29#File_naming

Then i do not see why..

The code to manage those modules is under
/*** modules ***/
section in platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c

but at the end it using a common ioLoadModule() function which also used for
And since plugins having .so extension and work well, then perhaps
those ones should also work.
But i remember i had problems with it when was first working on
CMakeVMMaker configs,
and i found that for some reason they are not found/cannot be loaded
if i use .so extension..
so maybe there's nothing in C code which would prevent it from
working, but my ignorance :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.