[Vm-dev] Pharo 2.0 and VM Simulator

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Apr 13 13:12:01 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 03:01:26PM -0700, Eliot Miranda wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 2:14 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On 12 April 2013 17:43, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >

> > > Then I would either move to VMMaker or be prepared for a fair bit of
> > work.  I haven't worked on the Interpreter in the Cog branch for many years.
> >
> > Then i suggest, what about killing that class in cog branch of  VMMaker..
> > it makes no sense to keep old and unmaintained cruft anyways.. just
> > another source
> > of confusion and bloat..
> >

> Trouble is there's good stuff in there like Andreas' profiler support for
> the interpreter.  So there is stiuff that needs to be merged from
> Interpreter into the main line too.  It must stay until the merge and then
> all of the classes will pair up.

Indeed. I know it does not look like it, but I'm actively working on
merging things like this in the VMM trunk, and I need to be able to
see things like this in the oscog branch in order to understand them.
Especially since I'm usually dealing with stuff I actually *don't*
understand ;-)

Andreas' profiler is a great example. I still don't have it working
right, but I'll figure it out one of these days, or maybe someone else
will. But there would be no chance of getting it right if we did not
have the code in oscog for reference.