[Vm-dev] Prebuilt 64-bit VM on Linux?

Hernán Morales Durand hernan.morales at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 05:37:33 UTC 2013

El 10/04/2013 20:26, David T. Lewis escribió:

> On Wed, Apr 10, 2013 at 08:11:39PM -0300, Hern?n Morales Durand wrote:

>>> As others have pointed out, an interpreter VM compiled for 64-bit will
>>> work fine, though not as fast as Cog. However, recent Pharo images will
>>> no longer run on a standard interpreter, so you cannot run a Pharo 2.0
>>> image on a 64-bit VM.
>>
>> Thanks for the information. This is sad news. Because I am comparing
>> avg. execution time against python and perl and cog is the winner for my
>> workflow.
>>

> I am not familiar with valgrind, but if you can get a 32-bit version of
> valgrind that works with the normal 32-bit Cog executable, I think that
> would be the best thing to do. After all, that is your target execution
> environment, so it would be good if your profiling tool runs in that same
> environment.

I was unable to get a working 32-bit version of valgrind. But even if I
have it, I should downgrade my python and perl environments just because
Smalltalk is not there for the fair competition. So my best choice for
now it to get a working 64-bit VM for Linux.

> If you are interested in memory utilization rather than speed, and if your
> application runs in Squeak, then use a 64-bit interpreter VM and Squeak.

I tried the 64-bit interpreter VM with Squeak, but the vm doesn't launch
because of some GLIBC compatibility problem:

./squeakvm: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required
by ./squeakvm)
./squeakvm: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.15' not found (required
by ./squeakvm)

I have browsed for that error, but haven't found nothing valuable.

> If you want speed, then use Cog and find a profiling tool that can support
> it. The difference between 32 and 64 bit compiled VMs is of no consequence
> with respect to performance, it is really just a matter of installing the
> necessary runtime libraries to support 32-bit operations.

My requirement is to compare perfomance execution under the same
conditions (VM architecture, memory load, etc). Actually in CentOS 6
both Python and Perl have their 64-bit executables, and Smalltlak doesn't.