[Vm-dev] Issue 127 in cog: Generate libraries with the .so extension

cog at googlecode.com cog at googlecode.com
Wed Apr 17 16:50:23 UTC 2013

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 127 by damien.c... at gmail.com: Generate libraries with the .so
extension
http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=127

Currently the build script generates vm-source-ALSA, vm-display-X11 and
other files like this without any extension. However, all the unix systems
I've heard of consider the extension as standard. Wikipedia says " In
Unix-like operating systems using ELF, dynamically-loaded shared libraries
can be identified by the filename suffix .so (shared object)." Solaris also
uses this extension
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26505_01/html/816-5165/ld.so.1-1.html. There is
also this page which says that "In most modern Unix-like systems [...] the
filenames always start with lib, and end with .a (archive, static library)
or .so (shared object, dynamically linked library)".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_%28computing%29#File_naming

So I guess the vm-* files must have the .so extension. Currently, I have to
maintain a script that adds these extensions because they are required by
the tools I use:
https://github.com/pharo-project/pharo-vm-ubuntu/blob/master/debian/rules