[Vm-dev] sqAtomicOps.h garbaged

tim Rowledge tim at rowledge.org
Mon Apr 29 18:47:54 UTC 2013

On 29-04-2013, at 11:36 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com> wrote:

> I dunno... those emacs users look pretty hardcore:
> http://www.lshift.net/blog/2013/04/28/emacs-versus-vim <MrT>I pity the
> fool who uses vim!</MrT>

Even though the actual text-editing is insane (as in select-{copy|move}-to-cursor rather than cut/copy/paste) I find StrongEd to be the most effective programming editor. I can load all the sources for a squeak vm in a few seconds. Click on a word and ctl-sh-f will find and list all occurrences across the many files in not much over a frame refresh cycle, ie instantly. click on a word and F1 will find the StrongHelp entry for it if one exists - really good as a quick (again, near instant) reminder of the api needed or definition of the word etc. It folds text according to user set rules. It can do syntax markup according to user set rules (not that I like that) and drive make/cc/asm/link/etc. All on a machine about 7% the performance of a typical desktop. It's a great example of how so much 'modern' software is wasting time by the chrono-bucket.

tim
Compromise, says Prof. Trefusis, is stalling between two fools