[Vm-dev] auto updates from issue tracker now blocked (was: [Pharo-dev] Put issues from cog issue tracker into pharo issue tracker)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 12:16:08 UTC 2013

On 8 August 2013 22:43, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 09:59:15PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
>>
>> Yes, clearly excessive, but isn't the transition finished?
>
> I have no idea if it is finished. Let's hope so.
>
> Note that I have not actually turned anything off, I think it's worth a day
> or so of discussion before changing anything.
>
> >From my point of view, the automatic updates from cog at googlecode were already
> sending too many trivial notifications to the list, and I was not finding it
> very useful. Maybe others find it helpful though. I'd be interested to hear
> from Eliot, Igor, or Esteban.

The people act on assumption that only pharo team uses tracker.
While my original intent, when creating this tracker was to have
separate tracker
for Cog project, neutral and independent from other projects
(Squeak/Pharo/Etoys/name yours).

The dilemma is that in Pharo we use flavor of Cog with own configuration..
and some issues are not related to Cog in general, but to things we
want in our flavor
(like making/fixing/including certain plugin with our VM etc)..

For example, look at issue
http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=126

So my question, if such issues should belong to that list.

Another dilemma is integrating bugs/fixes. For instance, look at
http://code.google.com/p/cog/issues/detail?id=102

which was integrated to pharo vms and works there for a while now.
But not integrated to main branch.. and dilemma, should i close the
issue as resolved,
or keep it open?

But besides that, comes question: is people (other than in pharo team)
need this tracker or using..
because if not, then there's really not much sense in keeping it, and
pharoers can track things
with own tracker, without much fuss.

The wrong part in what was happened is acting before discussing.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.