[Vm-dev] Register allocation and debugging in Squeak

Stefan Marr smalltalk at stefan-marr.de
Tue Aug 13 12:48:39 UTC 2013

Hi Clement:

On 13 Aug 2013, at 14:28, Clément Bera <bera.clement at gmail.com> wrote:

> Now I know that Eliot wouldn't have planned an optimization that will destroy the debugging power of Squeak. How did you guys plan to add the register allocation without destroying the debugging power of Squeak ?
>
> Did you plan to add something similar to the scope descriptor that they have in the Self VM to allow aggressive optimizations with regular debugging ? Did you plan to annotate the stack frames with meta data and if so, how would you have implemented it ?

Might this be what you're looking for? http://selflanguage.org/documentation/published/dynamic-deoptimization.html

I haven't looked into the Self details, but I thought they just don't do it. More specifically, as soon as you want to debug, you are going to execute 'slow' code that does make it simple to map back to Smalltalk/Self.

Best regards
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr