[Vm-dev] VM Maker: Qwaq-VMProfiling-eem.66.mcz

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 19:17:41 UTC 2013

Hi Frank,

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 2:37 AM, Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2 August 2013 22:32,  <commits at source.squeak.org> wrote:
> >
> > Eliot Miranda uploaded a new version of CogTools to project VM Maker:
> > http://source.squeak.org/VMMaker/Qwaq-VMProfiling-eem.66.mcz

> > Name: Qwaq-VMProfiling-eem.66
> > Author: eem
> > Time: 2 August 2013, 2:32:41.232 pm
> > UUID: 6c875f9a-9f18-4476-b8e1-6ddd64b4bfb5
> > Ancestors: Qwaq-VMProfiling-eem.65
> >
> > Release the Qwaq VMProfiler as VMProfiler.  This version derives
> > from Qwaq-VMProfiling-eem.65.  Thanks to all at 3D ICC, especially
> > Ron Teitlebaum, for permission to release this.
> > In memory of Andreas Raab, who gave me the opportunity to build
> > Cog, and who was my friend and colleague.  I miss you, Andreas,
> > very much.
> >
> > ==================== Snapshot ====================
>
> First, a big THANK YOU to 3D ICC.
>
> I'm a bit confused by the licence though: in the class comment it says
> APL, but in the LICENCE method it says MIT. Which licence is it, or is
> it a dual licence, or is it just a mistake?

just a mistake.  I'll fix the class comment(s) asap.

> Lastly, what's the high level summary of the profile? Does one just
> load it into a normal image and use it? Does it require any special
> bits from the VM? I'm assuming you'd only use it with a Cog VM, for
> instance.

Yes.  The Mac & linux Cog VMs have the necessary support, the Windows Cog
VM does not.  It probably needs a user guide, e.g. in the class comment.

And really lastly, what are its dependencies? It looks like it uses
> Morphic. Does that have implications for running it in Squeak vs
> Pharo?

Phhh, yes, it uses Morphic. :)  I test it only in Squeak.  If the Pharo VM
guys find it useful then I'm sure they can keep it supported in Pharo.

--
best,
Eliot