[Vm-dev] Dalvik vs. ART: Android virtual machines and the battle for better performance | Pocketnow

phil at highoctane.be phil at highoctane.be
Fri Dec 13 00:11:54 UTC 2013

Google wants to beat the speed of iOS. iOS uses native code and Objective-C
highly optimized dispatch loop. So, with a less powerful piece of hardware,
Apple devices trounce Android ones when it comes to smoothness of
animations, battery etc.

As Android uses the Dalvik VM, the only way to get as speedy as iOS is to
go as close to native as possible.

We are talking 60 fps for a lot of pixels these days. My Nexus 7 with 4.4.2
still feels laggy compared to my iPad2. That is due to the whole VM/Java
thing. iPad2 is 2-core, Nexus 7 is 4-core and with a NVidia graphics chip.

AOT is working very well when it comes to Java code (well, Android Dalvik
bytecode here).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AOT_compiler

AOT is getting a lot of traction these days. LLVM also has this.

So, why care about 50% or 100%, the point is that it is getting faster in a
way that affects the user perception. Which is what matters.

For example, Pharo feels slow compared to Dolphin, Smalltalk/X etc. Maybe
the VM is of equivalent speed. Not the user experience.

Phil