[Vm-dev] Re: Devel on squeakjs

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Dec 24 13:27:43 UTC 2013

(moving to mailing list - please use this for discussion)

On 24.12.2013, at 09:32, Giovanni Giorgi <jj at gioorgi.com> wrote:

> Hi Bert,
>  I'd like to do some developing on SqueakJS.

Great!

> How do you do it?
>
> I was thinking of using emacs as IDE and firefox debugger

That is possible, yes.

> (I am not accustomed with Lively).

Lively is the best Javascript IDE, hands down. It feels almost like Smalltalk. You really should try it :)

> I think it could be useful also to split the main file into smaller packages...

No, please don't. I want the VM core to be a single file, and in Lively I see it nicely split up.

However, VM plugins can live in separate files, and they do not need to follow the Lively conventions. I just added the demo/SimplePlugin.js as an example:
https://github.com/bertfreudenberg/SqueakJS/blob/master/demo/SimplePlugin.js

The only thing one could remove from the core would be the two Instruction printer classes, agreed. Actually, moving this plus the whole debugging support into its own file would be a good idea (but in a way that Lively can still use it). I'll put that on my to-do list.

> If you like I can rewrite my work on  my java proxy for getting a smalltalk-2-javascript proxy.

Sounds good, and this would be a prime candidate for an external plugin that can go in its own file.

> Do you have some suggestions/ area of interest right now?

Being able to loading newer+larger images is on the top of my list, which means implementing many more of the primitives, and possibly optimizing.

- Bert -