[Vm-dev] Exporting module symbols on windows

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 17:23:08 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 8, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i again bitten by inability to access global symbols of VM module at run
> time..
> while on unixes, it is fairly easy to do:
>
> dlsym('foo', RTLD_DEFAULT);

Only because the linux VM is linked with -export-dynamic

on windows, compiler/linker does not exposing any symbols :(

But it can be asked to.

> so what i doing now is adding shitty primitives which just return
> pointers to variables....
> this smells bad..
> i wonder , is this impossible in principle, or it is just a
> win-specific default linker/compiler setting which
> different from unix one?

I think I'm right in thinking it's the latter.  If you're using the mingw
cygwin compiler then, depending on version, you either use --export-dynamic
or --export-all-symbols.  See
http://www.squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/cygwinbuild/HowToBuild.

If you're using the Microsoft LINK.EXE then you might have to get the
Makefile to generate a .def file containing all exports.
--
best,
Eliot