[Vm-dev] Exporting module symbols on windows

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 23:51:14 UTC 2013

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 3:18 PM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, Eliot
>
> i thought about it, and i don't like it.
> I am in favor of exporting stuff explicitly, rather than implicitly by
> compiler..
> because with implicit exports, you never know whether given symbol
> will be visible or not..
> and you have to guess and hope instead of being confident.
>
> It would be nice if we could have a way to export all functions and
> variables
> which has <api> pragma.. because exporting everything , first is not
> needed, second
> it will expose some symbols which are really private to VM which is
> not very good from design perspective.

I agree. All you need to do on WIndows is to collect all the functions that
are either marked as api, export: true or in requiredMethodNames and write
a .def file.  The syntax of the def file is easy enough (just a list of
names IIRC) that a Makefile could munge it to produce a set of flags for a
linker (but it's a *lot* of flags :) ).  You might look at where the
CodeGenerator produces cointerp.h and cogit.h and add the generation there.

--
best,
Eliot