[Vm-dev] debugging the garbage collector

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Feb 15 13:47:02 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 01:14:17PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 2013-02-15, at 11:27, Noah Evans <noah.evans at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Craig, which version of Cog are you using? I'm using the tip of the
> > gitorious tree.
>
> Eliot's canonical sources are in subversion:
>
> http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/branches/Cog/

Oh dear, I suspect we may have some confusion here. Craig says:

>      The current release of Spoon is 3 beta 3 (23 October 2012),
> available at:
>
>      http://netjam.org/spoon/releases/current
>
>      It includes a Squeak 4.2 object memory (4 February 2011) with
> VMMaker dtl.237 (23 May 2011) installed, and the Spoon VM changes
> applied to that, and with remote browsing support installed. It runs on
> the VM it generates, which is the only one supplied in the release (Mac
> OS, Linux and win32).

Noah, what platform sources did you start with? The VM that Craig
describes would have been compiled with platform sources from the
trunk VM (not branches/Cog). Those sources are at:

  http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk

You would need to use a version of those sources from the early 2011
time frame. But I would suggest very stongly that you get an exact
copy of sources from Craig so that you are starting from exactly the
same code base that he is using (or maybe that's what you meant in your
question to Craig the about gitorious tree).

Mixing generated source code from VMMaker trunk (e.g. VMMaker-dtl.237)
with platform sources from branches/Cog will definitely not work.
And mixing generated sources (from VMMaker) with platform sources
(from Subversion) that are not from the same general time frame will
probably not work.