[Vm-dev] OS X equivalent of -vm-sound-null ?

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at gmail.com
Sun Jan 6 22:19:31 UTC 2013

On 6 January 2013 21:05, David Corking <lists at dcorking.com> wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> I can't see what the OS X analogue to -vm-sound-null is
>
> I don't know the codebase at all, so I am really speaking out of turn
> here. Yet, since there was no other answer posted, I couldn't resist a
> quick look through some source code: it looks like all the command
> line arguments in the Carbon VM are in this file,
>
> http://gitorious.org/squeak-vm/blessed/blobs/master/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/sqMacUnixCommandLineInterface.c
>
> No mention of sound there, so my guess is that it is not supported.
>
> For comparison the unix command lines has all its arguments in one
> file, apart from plugin specific ones:
>
> http://gitorious.org/squeak-vm/blessed/blobs/master/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMain.c
>
> I think it should be possible to compile the unix platform vm for Mac
> OS X which might help you.

I can definitely compile the unix platform vm for Mac at least. It was
only after I did that that I thought perhaps there was another vm. I
haven't looked for other subdirs of ./platforms/. Maybe I should do
that.

I just want the HONK HONK of the Beeper test to not give me a fright :)

> Apparently the Cocoa version of the interpreter VM (in the
> platforms/iOS path) does clever things with plists that might be an
> alternative way to get what you want, if you don't want to hack the
> Carbon VM sources.

I really don't, unless the Mac API mismatch starts to irritate me too
much, in which case I might just have to!

> Have fun! David

Thanks, David.

frank