[Vm-dev] VM Maker: VMMaker.oscog-eem.253.mcz

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at gmail.com
Sun Jan 13 09:13:35 UTC 2013

On Jan 12, 2013, at 10:40 PM, Ryan Macnak wrote:

> In Smalltalk, one knows at compile-time at which class to begin lookup for super sends. In Newspeak, we do not know this as all methods are defined by mixins, and the superclass of a mixin application is not known until runtime. Hence /dynamic/ super send.

ok got it

> In Newspeak's as-yet-unimplemented access control, super sends can activate protected members, but normal sends cannot.

Do you have a sketch or description (article) how to implement that in a dynamically typed language?
I thought about it some time ago and I was never really excited about the solutions I found.

In my solution 	x foo can be different from self foo so that I compile time we can make a distinction.