[Vm-dev] OSProcessPlugin: VMConstruction-Plugins-OSProcessPlugin.oscog-eem.41.mcz

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 22 03:47:42 UTC 2013

Chris,

These commit notices are repeats from a bunch of earlier postings.
SqueakSource was down for some reason, and I suspect that something was
done during the restart to cause a bunch of commit notices to be resent.

Eliot did make some changes to the OSPP signal handling to use an alternate
signal stack. This prevents stack overflows that can affect a stack interpreter
(Cog) if a signal handler consumes more stack space than expected.

So yes the changes are intended to prevent stack overflow corruption that
could happen when signals are being handled, and yes OSProcess does a lot
of signal handling. I don't know how or if the stack issues might relate
to becomeForward:, but I do know that (for all sorts of problems of this
nature) any sort of object memory corruption caused by one bug is likely
to show up as a crash later on during memory traversal, so maybe they
are indirectly related.

I'm not sure the versions in which these changes took effect (2672, 2673?).

Dave