[Vm-dev] Re: I need help building Cog on 64bit Linux (new Squeak server)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sat Jan 26 23:38:45 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 04:02:04PM -0600, Ken Causey wrote:

> On 01/26/2013 03:50 PM, Ken Causey wrote:
> >The problem I'm running into now is with building BochsIA32Plugin:
>
> And a little more careful reading would have indicated that this is
> because I missed a step.  Well, no, I don't really have any need for the
> Cog VM simulator.  So how do I disable building this plugin?  Do I need
> to run VMMaker?
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding it seems like a mistake to me to have that
> plugin built by default.  But then I guess I am building from
> development (SVN) sources.

In the Cog build procedure, compiling a plugin is enabled by including the
plugin in either the plugins.ext or plugins.int file. These two files should
be in your build directory, and the idea is to edit them prior to running
configure. To get rid of the that plugin, just find it in one of those two
files and edit it out.

If you do want to try running VMMaker, there is a script on the squeakci.org
server in the CogVM job that may serve as a useful reference. Look in the
workspace for the script file http://squeakci.org/job/CogVM/ws/VMCogUnixBuild.st

You should edit the file and change one line to this before using it, otherwise
it will exit your image without saving after you run it:

exitWhenDone := true. "<== EDIT THIS"

That done, you should be able to just file in the script and end up with
a Cog VM. Note that the script will write its own plugins.ext and plugins.int
files before it does the configure step, so you will probably want to edit
that to add the plugins you want.

There is a similar build script for the interpreter VM on squeakci.org
also. This uses Ian Piumarta's CMake based build process, which eliminates
some of the annoyances you are dealing with here. But that won't help you
if you are building a Cog VM, so you'll just need to fiddle with the
plugins.ext, plugins.int, and configure parameters until you get what
you need. Of course CMake has its own set of annoyances, so pick your
poison ;-)

HTH,